Pretraži blog: 

Jan 28, 2014

My experience: eyebrows, mascara and blush

From the suggestions I received regarding what - according to you - is interesting to read about, some said it would be nice to have a beauty advice section, where I'm talking about my experiences using cosmetics in the right way, from personal trial and error. I thought that was a great idea and decided to follow through, so here you go with the first post in that series. I hope you will like it :). 

#1 For some reason, for me super thin eyebrows were synonymous with good-looking people. I have bigger eyes that go along with rather prominent eyebrows. Long I believed that they should be plucked as thin as possible. 

Pamela Anderson | Keira Knightley 

Now in my thirties, I think that too thin eyebrows let the face appear sort of austere, hard and thus older. I think it is great if you are endowed with fuller eyebrows. Be sure to keep them neat and well shaped, but don't "kill" them. Preserve your eyebrows as long as you have them. Of course, that's just my opinion :). 

#2 The best advice I received regarding mascara: before applying it to the lashes, clean the wand with paper (or even better with kitchen roll). And don't forget the top of the brush. This way, the lashes will not be stuck together, it will look much nicer without lumps, no matter which mascara you use.


#3 Long I believed that my way of using blush is the correct way, until I saw myself on pictures :D. 
If you are self-taught in makeup like me, you're probably soaking up any advice and tutorial you can find. But while you are enjoying the latest youtube videos of your favorite makeup guru, you should ask yourself: is that person younger than me? Does s/he have a similar shape of the face? Is s/he having any experience in making up other people, besides being very talented to style her/himself beautifully. Those are important questions you should ask :). 

The most popular online advice about how to apply the blush is: watch yourself in the mirror, smile, apply the blush on the cheek, circulating with the brush in direction of the ears. And it probably "works" in most cases. But, in my case, when I stop smiling the color drops down - too low and the face looks really odd. The blush is just not in the right place.


In any case, blush is always applied to the cheekbone. However, there are at least five different ways of how it can be blended, depending on the shape of the face (link). For me, this tutorial (link) shows the most convenient way. If you are not sure how you should do it and happen to not have a professional make-up artists around, I suggest you try all five techniques (link) and see which fits you best :). 

All images are taken from diverse web sites.

No comments